The adoption of value stream management platforms is especially needed in DevOps environments. According to Gartner, “Organizations lack end-to-end visibility into product delivery and struggle to improve their flow of value. I&O leaders, together with application leaders, must implement a DevOps value stream management platform and analyze value stream metrics to optimize the overall health of product delivery.”
Gartner recommends that product and platform teams use VSMPs to:
- Provide end-to-end visibility and insight into their product delivery.
- Assess the performance, quality and value of their products, including development costs and ROI.
- Evaluate the maturity of their existing product delivery capabilities and identify constraints to flow and gaps in insights for stakeholders.
- Provide customized dashboards and views of product delivery for other stakeholders and leadership.
- Gain a consolidated view of governance, security and compliance across all product lines.
- Leverage advanced capabilities, such as change risk analytics, to make more informed decisions about releasing new features.
Value stream management platform unique capabilities with ALM and DevOps
VSMP toolchains are occurring to address the need for unified visibility, orchestration, integration, governance and management of the ALM and DevOps value stream to improve flow and traceability, with process compliance, and end-to-end product lifecycle management.
VSMP with DevOps capabilities are needed to not only bridge the gap between operations and internal engineering teams but also to automate the entire process from code check-in to deployment ideally with a Workflow Engine supporting a concurrent task-based CI/CD pipeline, with management dashboards throughout the lifecycle. This will provide real-time insights to improve delivery velocity, help identify and eliminate bottlenecks, and deliver with lower deployment costs. Ideally these toolchains will enable DevOps over a concurrent multimodal development environment with the choice of best-of-breed tools, with legacy ALM and newer Agile and DevOps supported, with functions to:
- View the status of the pipelines or invoke, pause, and stop them from emails, and if needed allow for it all to be done remotely with WFH (work-from-home) team members.
- Invoke custom routines and microservices to be a part of the delivery process.
- Enforce Process Adherence to the process such as proper DevSecOps security testing.
- Ensure role-based controls are adhered to, such as release management with pr